Sunday, November 06, 2005

Chapter Two

Current Word Count: 14908
Words Left To Count: 35092
Days Left: 25

Chapter Two
Min Sen - Chuyoi Chokai

Kaiwa had been born along the shores of the Unabara, quite like he had said. It was a small village near the border of Sær that had long ago perished in the war. He had not been there though. When his village had been raped and pillaged he had been sailing the Kaiyou.

Sailing was all he ever knew. While the people of Mizu Tokai knew the way of the Seiken, they only knew the water. For years he had sailed around the Unabara, and when that became too small he sailed all the lakes, and then one day he found his way to the Kaiyou and he almost never looked back. But he had. One last time to see the Unabara as the moon was full above it, making it shine like silver.

This was to be his last voyage from Irare.

There had never been a place for Jirale in his heart, because it was so full of other things. While the idea of smuggling a woman out of Irare didn't bother him, the sheer logistics squandered his mind. How could he possibly sneak a woman out of the country by boat? They searched him every time he left, and entered.

Although security was lax during the war, the soldiers of course would still search you, sometimes more thoroughly now that it was wartime, but the soldiers were more concerned with finding spies and secrets leaked from Sær rather then smuggled women. After all, hundreds had already managed to make their way to Wo-Quo.

It could be possible.

He told her so as they stood outside of the bar, away from prying eyes and ears.

"It could be possible, but it's futile," he added, knowing in his heart that she'd only be going to her doom. "For that I don't wish to take you."

"Please, I must reach Nan Riku. I must try. Please," she wanted to fall to her knees and plea for her very life, but she stood straight, because she had to stand strong.

"How do you know that I won't kill you once we leave here? How can you trust me?"

She paused, looking up at him with desperate eyes. "You smell like the Unabara... my home..."

He felt pity for her more than anything else. He saw that she tried to be strong, and he saw that she was strong in her heart, but also weak because her plight was so futile. It would probably kill her if he left her on the shore and sailed to the Kaiyo without her. It would probably also kill her when she reached the south and was turned away with snarls of laughter... Yet she knew this and still tried so hard, and so he pitied her.

"Don't you get it? You'll die."

"And if I stay?"

"You'll live."

"You don't honestly believe that, do you?"

He sighed, looking away.

"You know as well as I do that we're being exterminated! The second the front fails, every man, woman and child will be murdered!"

Kaiwa turned back. "Keep your voice down."

"I don't care if I die. You shouldn't either."

"When I got to the front on my ship, I got off and walked to my hometown and it took me five days of hiding and dodging to make it past the Sær army and to my destroyed village... Do you know what I realised?"

She shook her head.

"Death. You're right; they will kill you if you stay or if you leave. They've gone insane with power. They used to dilute themselves and others by saying they were trying to liberate our country from our crude ways... But it's all just to please a blood lust. I saw that as I stared at the ash and carnage left from the village. No one can stop them. Not me, not you, not some foreign army."

He turned and began to walk away. Aya saw everything slipping away from her, all her hope and passion. She couldn't let him win.

"No... you're wrong," she whispered, choking back on the tears. "You're leaving Irare because you're frightened, and you should be, but we can't give up. We can't give up!" She began to follow him. "I won't let my brother die! I won't let anyone else die! I won't have my home destroyed, my lake polluted with their filth. I will fight until I am dead as well! You can't tell me it's not possible!" She grabbed his arm and he was forced to stop. "You can't tell me that I will fail! You can't tell me that I'm throwing my life away! Because I will not!"

Kaiwa looked up at her, her determined eyes piercing into his soul, and suddenly he wished with everything in his heart that she was right. Her fate was clear to him, that she would die no matter what he did, that thousands would and had, no matter what he did. What would it hurt to take her to Nan Riku? What would it hurt to let her hold onto her hope for just a small while longer? And what if she could actually make a difference?

"It could be possible..." he repeated to himself, trying to think of a way to hide her on his boat. "We'll need supplies, it will take us at least a week to get there."

Aya caught her breath and a smile spread across her delicate face. "You'll take me."

"There's no other choice for me. You must travel to the south and I must take you there, even if you do fail."

"I cannot fail. Not now."

(This is actuallt an interesing chapter - I think - 'cuz it's all about trying to smuggle someone over the border. Only they're trying to get out, rather than get in. I like showing two sides of the coin. Yes Sær's evil, but she just as likely to be killed by her own people. Oh the tragedy! In orther news, I wish I had more time to write. I have a lot of schoolwork, not enough time to write!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home